It wasn’t an awful year, but it wasn’t that good either. Truth is, 2007 was infinitely worse, as that was the year that Orla had Pneumonia and had to be revived in A&E.
But, it could have been better. Reviewing my years resolutions I can safely say that few of them I was able to accomplish. I did not lose two stone, I didn’t get fit, I didn’t spend less time on my laptop, I wasn’t significantly nicer to my husband. There are others, but these will suffice.
However, rather than being negative, let’s look at what I did achieve.
1. I built my own online shop on Zen Cart. A LOT of work, not just coding but understanding how a pretty nifty ecommerce solution worked.
2. I bought a new camera and filters, and learnt a lot more about the technical process of photography.
3. I improved my artistic skills and got better (in my opini0on) at painting, and sold quite a bit of art, both online and privately.
4. I entered two very big national competitions. One photography and one original art. I wasn’t placed in either, but it was a valuable learning experience from both, and I plan to re-enter this year.
5. Went to South Africa and survived the horrendous flight. Also, actually drove there, first time I have driven a car in a foreign country.
6. Bought the Gocco printer I wanted and worked out how NOT to make a mess.
7. Played my flute more than I have done for a long time.
8. Forged some new friendships and reinforced old ones. In particular, Nicola Humphries; a lovely warm and friendly human being. Also, Andrea Roberts; kind, patient and generous. Lastly, my oldest friend Felix Muckart. We ‘found’ each other and I was able to let go of ancient hurt and heal old scars.
9. Rebuilt two of my websites from scratch, one using a CMS and another (this one) on WordPress.
10. Bought a very good printer and started selling my own prints for my artwork.
11. Coped better than expected with my little girl starting school, joined the committee and actually made things for the school fair.
So, not too shabby. Here is what I intend to achieve in 2010.
2010 Goals and Aspirations:
1. Be a better friend to my husband, who deserves so much more.
2. Be a better mother (always striving) to my Orla, and spend more quality time with her, and less time on my laptop etc.
3. Remember to count my blessings and live every day to the fullest.
4. Continue to improve my artistic skills both technically and spiritually, and explore new mediums. Go back to my roots somewhat and undertake new work with traditional subject matter, e.g. life drawing. Also, work my way through my Photoshop and Painter manuals and utilise my Wacom Intuos a lot more.
5. Find one or two good, friendly and trustworthy galleries to showcase my work.
6. Put on my own art exhibition. Not as hard as it sounds, I did it before when I was younger, I can do it again.
7. Enter three competitions this year, both photographic and art.
8. Play my flute every day.
9. Start singing again.
10. Lose two stone and start training and cycling again.
11. Cut down on my chocolate consumption and eat a healthier diet.
12. Build a fitted wardrobe in our bedroom and redecorate my studio/workspace.
13. Save up enough money for our trip to South Africa next Christmas.
14. Start hanging all the lovely art and photography I have collected in my own home.
So that’s it. Here is to a better year for all of us. Striving to be a better person, and more creative. On a positive note, a gallery owner recently told me that my art was ‘an antidote to the recession’. I take that as a compliment and to be very encouraging.
If you are interested in purchasing any original pieces, postcards and prints then please visit my ART SHOP.