I am making 2012 MY YEAR! What do I mean by that? Well, I mean I am making it mine, the big one, an important one. The year in which I achieve more, create more, and have more success in ALL that I do. Why is that and what is significant about this particular year? Well, because I will turn 50!
Yep, the BIG 5o. Now, many dread this point in our lives, many fear it, and many I know lie about their age. Well, I say…Bollocks to that! I am 50, YAY…50!!! This is HUGE, and something to celebrate not mourn. Because you know, in this day and age 50 is the new 30, some of the cool and most interesting people are 5o or turning 50 this year, Barack Obama, Mary Portas, Ricky Gervais, Sheryl Crow, Jodie Foster etc, the list is endless. That’s not to say being 50 in this country as a woman isn’t crap, ageism here is rife, and possibly the worst in the world (other than the States). In France a woman of 50 is still an icon. Also, ageism persists in the art and design world. Believe me, if you aren’t under 35 and one of the cool kids, people are not interested, I say…bite me!
But, I digress. I am dead excited and, proud of myself. Times were I thought I would never get here. Truth is, I have a somewhat colourful past and to say I ‘lived’ is a bit of an understatement. The expression ‘been there, seen it and done it all’ pretty much sums up the case. However, I have achieved quite a bit thus far, am happily married (ten years this year) to a lovely man (who is still his in 30s’ by the way ;0), a beautiful six year old daughter, a lovely home and a thriving business. Despite the current climate and the doom and pervasive gloom, life is good.
So, here are my artistic (personal will be posted elsewhere) goals and objectives for 2012:
- Back to basics: create more original artworks using traditional mediums, water colours and oil pastels etc.
- To have my work featured in an art & design publication
- To publish my own zine.
- To continue with my children’s book
- To expand my art shop to include a new line of hand pulled prints on paper and Moleskins using lino and woodcuts.
- To produce more digital artwork using my Wacom and ‘Illustrator’, ergo more prints in my art shop as part of it’s expansion.
- To improve my photograph skills
- Enter at least two competitions this year.
And, to make sure I don’t forget, as a ‘visual reminder’ I have hand written them out on Valentina’s fabulous 2012 Goals Page (which you can print yourself as it’s a downloadable as a pdf).
If you are interested in purchasing any original pieces, postcards and prints then please visit my ART SHOP.